Henderson Castle
Henderson Castle was a prominent Romanesque Revival mansion located at 2200 16th Street NW in Washington, D.C. Constructed in 1889 for former Senator John B. Henderson and his wife Mary Foote Henderson, the four-story residence was designed by architect Eugene C. Gardner using Seneca sandstone. The estate sat on six acres of land overlooking the city, an area that was largely undeveloped at the time. The construction cost $100,000, with significant renovations undertaken in subsequent decades by architects Thomas Franklin Schneider and George Oakley Totten Jr. The home served as a social hub for dignitaries, hosting figures such as Andrew Carnegie, Supreme Court justices, and foreign delegates.
The property holds historical significance due to its owners' influence on the capital's development and social movements. John Henderson introduced the legislation for the Thirteenth Amendment abolishing slavery, while Mary Henderson was a fierce advocate for women's rights and the temperance movement. She famously destroyed over 1,000 bottles of alcohol from the castle's cellar to protest liquor consumption. Mary also played a pivotal role in shaping the Meridian Hill neighborhood, convincing Congress to establish Meridian Hill Park directly across from their estate. Her efforts transformed the surrounding district into a prestigious area filled with grand mansions and embassies.
Following Mary's death in 1931, the castle underwent a decline in status. It was converted into the Castle H Swim and Tennis Club and boarding house in 1937, where loud parties frequently disturbed neighbors. In 1941, the property was purchased by financiers Eugene and Agnes Meyer to mitigate the nuisance. After serving as a social event space for several more years, the contents were auctioned off in 1948, and the structure itself was demolished in January 1949. The site remained vacant for nearly thirty years before eventually being developed into a gated townhouse community known as Beekman Place.
Details
- Location Text
- Washington, D.C., built in 1889 for former Senator John B. Henderson and his wife Mary Foote Henderson. Designed by architect Eugene C. Gardner and demolished in 1949.