Fort Sekondi
Fort Sekondi, also known as Fort George, was a historic English military structure located in Sekondi on the Gold Coast, now part of modern-day Ghana. Originally constructed in 1682 by Captain Henry Nurse of the Royal African Company, the fort was built in close proximity to the Dutch Fort Orange. The initial architectural design was modest, described by historian William Claridge as a small square building similar to its Dutch neighbor, mounting only a few guns on a roof terrace. Its strategic placement allowed the English to maintain a foothold in the region, though it remained a minor installation compared to larger coastal castles.
The fort experienced a turbulent history marked by conflict and destruction. It was first destroyed in 1698 during the Dutch-Komenda War, with evidence suggesting Dutch instigation despite official denials. Although the English attempted to rebuild around 1700, local hostility forced them to abandon the project until a second structure was erected before 1726. This subsequent fort met a similar fate when it was captured and completely demolished by Dutch forces in 1782. Unlike many other structures on the coast, Fort Sekondi was never physically reconstructed after this final destruction, leaving only its historical legacy behind.
Despite its ruined condition, the site retained diplomatic significance through the 19th century. Control of the non-existent fort was formally transferred from Britain to the Netherlands in 1868 under the Anglo-Dutch Gold Coast Treaty, only to be ceded back to the United Kingdom in 1872. Today, Fort Sekondi exists primarily as a historical entry in records regarding the colonial era of Ghana, representing the shifting European powers and volatile conflicts that defined the Gold Coast's past.
Details
- Location Text
- at Sekondi